Live and work in Canada

The Skilled Worker visa
To live and work in Canada

If you are interested to live and work in Canada, you are required to have a visa. Therefore, it is possible to obtain a permanent visa within the skilled worker category if you meet the requirements. To qualify for one of the visas, an assessment of your profile will be made. For this, your work experience (knowledge) and qualifications are important.

A visa application for Canada consists of multiple phases of a system that is called ‘Express Entry’. Through this system, points are awarded to personal factors, resulting in the candidates with the highest score to be invited for a full visa application.

More information about the ‘Express Entry System’ and the points and invitation rounds
in the past can be found here: 
[Express Entry Canada]


Canadian visa categories

Federal Skilled Worker Class

In order to apply for a visa within this ‘Federal Skilled Worker’ category, you have to meet different requirements. In the first place, all candidates are evaluated based on their score on various factors. To be able to apply, you need at least 67 out of 100 points. Besides work experience and credentials, the following factors are important:

  • Your age
  • As mentioned, diploma’s and work experience are essential
  • Your knowledge of English and/or French language is also relevant
  • A job offer from a Canadian employer generates extra points
  • Finally: your connections with Canada (e.g. language abilities of your partner, Canadian work experience or previous study, family in Canada)

Furthermore, it is important that your job title has the correct ‘level’. This means that you must have at least one year of full-time work experience in a position in the NOC (National Occupation Classification) List, level O, A or B. You will also require to prove that your financial funds are sufficient for your family size. The requirements for this have been determined by Immigration Canada.

As soon as it is determined that you meet the above requirements, your profile can be prepared and submitted. After submission, you will be assessed again with a different score chart. The second score is called the ‘Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)’. Based on the results of this score, invitation rounds are held regularly. All candidates with a score above the minimum of the relevant round are invited for a permanent visa application.

For more information about ‘Express Entry’, click here.

Federal Skilled Trade Class

Employees with technical professions are frequently requested in Canada. For this reason, this separate visa category has been drawn up for people with a technical job that want to live and work in Canada. If you wish to be considered for this, you must meet various criteria for this application, as outlined below:

  • At least two years of work experience in the past five years
  • The job position must be categorized under the ‘skilled trade’ professions
  • You can provide a job offer from a Canadian employer that has been approved by ‘Employment and Social Development Canada’
  • Furthermore, you also have good English and/or French language abilities
  • You meet the set professional criteria (for example registration or licenses)

If you meet the above requirements, you can submit a profile within ‘Express Entry’. After that, the profile will also be assessed based on your CRS score.

Canadian Experience Class

This category is specifically for people with work experience in Canada. If you have gained full-time work experience for one year in the last three years in Canada, you may be eligible for this category. This is only possible if the position has the correct level (O, A or B) and is therefore on the NOC list. Finally, knowledge of English or French language must also be demonstrated here. Just like the aforementioned visas, a minimum CRS Score is required.

Provincial Nominee Program

Finally, the ‘Provincial Nominee Program’ also belongs to the visa categories within Express Entry. Many Canadian provinces have their own visa programs, called the PNP’s. Through these programs, the provinces can play a more direct role in the selection of immigrants. In addition, it can respond to the demand and supply within the labour market of the specific province. Therefore, each province or territory applies its own criteria and conditions.

These programs could offer additional possibilities if you are not eligible for the federal program. If you have a specific preference for an area you would like to live and work in Canada, ask our specialist about the possibilities for that area.

Do you wish for more information about your visa options for Canada? Contact our visa specialists for a free eligibility assessment.